Join a community of young people and adults who create, invent and explore together using the latest in technology.
Communications Assistant (UVA Work Study 2019)
**Please note: All applicants must be enrolled in the UVA Work Study Program to be considered for this role**
C4K combines mentoring and technology to prepare youth for brighter futures. C4K equips Charlottesville youth with STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) skills that prepare them to be competitive for college and career opportunities. We do so through:
- Supportive 1:1 and group mentoring
- Workshops led by staff and experts
- Field trips to help members explore college and career possibilities
- Access to industry-level technology
- A vibrant and fun learning environment
We serve diverse youth from low-income households. We are open year-round as a place where youth can freely access cutting-edge technology, daily learning opportunities, and caring mentors outside of school. Additionally, we are the only organization in Charlottesville that offers STEM mentoring. In our 18-year history, 98% of C4K members graduate high school on time, which is 20% higher than the city-wide average for youth from low-income households.
VIDEO: What is C4K all about?
Click HERE for a virtual tour of C4K!
C4K seeks a Communications Assistant to work with C4K’s Communications Manager, to provide efficient administrative support for approximately 10 – 15 hours a week throughout the academic year. While assisting with a wide range of projects, the Communications Assistant will gain hands-on experience in many aspects of communications while also gaining a good understanding of how a small nonprofit organization is managed.
Tasks (include but are not limited to)
- Content creation for social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Assist with the implementation of the Annual Communications Plan including creating newsletters, press releases, blog posts, printed materials, etc.
- Support donor acknowledgment process
- Assist with donor database management
- Assist with answering the phone and greeting visitors as needed
- Assist with mailings
- Assist with C4K’s Social Media Ambassador Program
- Data entry
- Participate in the Annual Showcase Event planning and promotion
- Collect and document photographs and quotes from youth members
- Track and document communications
- Assist with donor outreach and cultivation
Qualified candidates will be/have:
- Strong organizational skills
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal)
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Excellent computer skills with experience in social media & the Google Suite
- The ability to work independently and with others – especially volunteers and youth
- Dependability, flexibility, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- The ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines
Prior work/volunteer experience in a non-profit organization is a plus.
Benefits: Opportunity to stretch your skills and be a key player in a small organization. Enjoy a fun, flexible work environment where you can see the difference you are making every day. Develop relationships with the local non-profit community. Receive a letter of recommendation from C4K after successful completion of role.
Time Frame: The Academic Year. Possibility to be a multi-year role.
Schedule: Flexible from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m, Monday to Friday.
Salary: $10-12 p.h (depending on experience)
Deadline: July 26th 2019.
Open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
To apply: Please apply via Handshake – the job iD is 2773008- Communications Assistant (Student Wage).
If you have any questions about work-study eligibility, Contact Mary Fields, Student Financial Services: 434.924.6273, email@example.com
We are always are looking for dedicated mentors.